Labour Welfare Department
Last Updated on: July 30, 2022
Functions of Labour Welfare Department.
- Enforcement of Labour Laws.
- Ensuring Minimum Wages to the workers. ·
- Settlement of industrial Disputes and Complaints.
- Settlement of claim cases under Payment of Wages Act, Payment of Gratuity.
- Registration of Shops & Commercial Establishments.
- Ensuring Equal Remuneration to female workers. ,
- Detect & Rescue child labour from all prohibited sectors.
- Identification, Release & Rehabilitation of Child Labour (NCLPs).
- Abolition of Bonded Labour System.
- Welfare of the construction workers as well as providing of justice and social security to all sections of workers.
- Welfare of unorganized workers. .
Objectives of Labour Welfare Department.
The main objectives are: -
- To ensure welfare of labourers
- To oversee increase in prosperity –
- To create healthy and cordial industrial relations between the labourers and employers
- To eradicate child labour and bonded labour from the State of Assam.
- To enforce social security Acts including the Building and Other Construction Workers Act, 1996 & the Unorganised Workers Social Security Act, 2008.
- To generate revenue for the state by receiving registration fee under different labour laws.
Labour Welfare Department is a regulatory department and has been enforcing the following Act and Rules.
- The Child and Adolescent (P&R) Act-1986.
- The Industrial Dispute Act -1947.
- The Assam Shops and Establishments Act,-1971.
- The Plantations Labour Act,-1951.
- The Employees Compensation Act,-1923.
- The Motor Transport Workers Act,-1961.
- The Trade Union Act,-1926.
- The Payment of Wages Act, 1936.
- The Industrial Employment (Standing Order) Act,1946.
- The Minimum Wages Act, 1948.
- The Working Journalist and Other Newspaper Employees (C.S) and Miscellaneous Provision Act,-1955.
- The Maternity Benefit Act, 1961.
- The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965.
- The Beedi and Cigar Workers (C.E) Act, 1966.
- The Contract Labour (R&A) Act, 1970.
- The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972.
- The Equal Remuneration Act, 1976.
- The Bonded Labour System (Abolition) Act, 1976.
- The Sales Promotion Employees Act, 1979.
- The Inter State Migrant Workmen (RE & CS) Act, 1979.
- The Cine Workers and Cinema Theatre Workers Act, 1981.
- The Labour Law (Exemption From Furnishing Returns and Maintaining Registers by certain Establishment) Act,1988.
- The Unorganised Workers Social Security Act, 2008.
- The Building and other Construction Workers (RE & CS) Act, 1996.